[Kde-imaging] Time to break libkipi? (and interesting idea for sync plugin... input wanted)

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Thu Jan 25 22:51:33 CET 2007

Alle 22:14, giovedì 25 gennaio 2007, Colin Guthrie ha scritto:
> Hi,
Well why not. The only problem I see is how to have a fixing release
for ipod export localization... but we can tag this release in
the case, and import only locale files from trunk.

> Glad the 0.1.3 release is out and impressed with Seb's timing :p
>
> Now I think it's time to introduce this concept again!!!
>
> The way I see things is to create a libkipi API that achieves two things
> (this is my personal requirements I'm sure other people have other ideas):
>  1) Remove (or make optional) all interfaces that rely on file paths.
>  2) Allow the host application to store additional info about
> collections/images.
3) Allow the host application to run a plugin from every where, I mean
maybe retrieving it by Id or by Name. In such a way a context menu for
sendimages or a printwizard in file menu should be easy to use.
Of course that would mean to have the plugins hidden and well itegrated
with host application, but more user friendly.

> For 1) I see this as important for working with e.g. "dynamic"
> collections like the Tags views in digikam or a saved search etc.
>
> For 2) this is to provide e.g. key/value storage system for collections
> and images such that it could be used e.g. to sync a folder to a remote
> location (be it a folder or PHP Gallery or Flickr etc.)
>
> Fine, both of these are (conceptually at least) quite simple.
From my point of view any improvements that allow plugins interaction
and avoid code duplication are more than welcome, but i don't know if it
can have some bad side effects :)

> Other sinks i would like to implement (or have someone implement!) are:
>  * PHP Gallery 1/2
>  * Flickr (maybe, not sure about the login procedure)
>  * PicasaWeb
>  * Other web based galleries
>  * Generic KURL location
>  * iPod
WOW for one who said it has to change home twice and have little time...
the agenda is full :p
Well I hope Valerio and I will find time again to go on with our little
plugin as well.

> Feedback is most welcome.
Well we should decide when starting...