[Kde-imaging] Gwenview, kdegraphics and libkipi

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Wed Jan 17 00:07:48 CET 2007

Hello,

There is a thread on kde-devel-core discussing the inclusion of Gwenview in
kdegraphics for KDE4. One important question is what to do concerning the
dependency on libkipi.

The simplest solution is to remove support for libkipi in Gwenview, but I
think you will agree it's not the best one :-)

The other solution is to move libkipi into a new module named kdegraphicslib,
so that libkipi is distributed with KDE. This would be nice, but it would
require us to be much more strict regarding binary compatibility. Basically
it would mean no more binary incompatible changes once KDE4.0 is out.

To avoid splitting the discussion on two mailing lists, I invite you to join
the ongoing discussion on kde-devel-core (use news.gmane.org if you don't
want to subscribe).

Aurélien

PS: Note that this change would "only" concerned libkipi. It would not impose
any restriction on kipi-plugins.