[Kde-imaging] extragear/libs [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Colin Guthrie kde at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 15 23:11:31 CET 2007

Angelo Naselli wrote:
> Col that could be a good idea for developers, and svn version testers.
> I don't know if Fabien thought only about that, but if we're talking about
> library dependency well that problem remains since those libraries can only
> be external and shared. That is the only way to share that code between more than
> one project without linking it statically or changing the library names.

No, what you could do is this.

svn://server/myproj/Makefile.am: SUBDIRS = sharedlib
svn://server/myproj svn:external sharedlib svn://server/sharedlib

This is exaclty how the admin folder works currently (AFAIK)

We just refer to the sharedlib in the root level Makefiles as if it were
a folder like any other and the svn extenal will check it out/update it
automatically. You can compile the contents directly into your project
without using a separate library.

For things like kexiv2 and the dcdraw i/f library, they are so small and
simple that it wont really add much size to the compiled code.

The examples above are quick and dirty but do you see the point? You are
effectively just using static linkage rather than having to
release/maintain/package a separate shared lib.

I'm not particularly bothered either way, but for these very small libs,
they could be used throughout KDE in this way without any major problems
using svn:externals.

Col