[Kde-imaging] About dcraw, libufraw, libopenraw and libkdcraw

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda lepalom at wol.es
Mon Apr 2 01:38:57 CEST 2007

Dear people,

first of all I'm sorry for write you with also cc to some list. I will try to
be brief. I'm an advocate of the free software and usually I use kde and
debian. I'm a enthusiast of the photography and I normally shot in raw with
my camera.

It's to me a bit surprising (but understandable) that almost _all_ the free
software projects use the dcraw from Mr. Coffin. However, Mr. Coffin doesn't
want to make dcraw as a library. In general, all the projects modify the
dcraw code or encapsulate it in some kind of library.

I like the ideas from Mr. Figuière to develop a library to use in the free
software projects for the raw. But, to begin a new library from scratch, (or
I understand that it have been developed in this manner) is a lot of work.
However, maybe it's the most easy thing, do it your self from zero.

Since some time ago I use ufraw to convert my photos to something viewable. I
like very much Mr. Fuchs application and I think that he have designed and
developed a very good application to convert raw files. Also, I think that
the idea to have some kind of job ticket, or convert options that he propose
in the ufraw xml file it's a very good idea.

I proposed to Mr. Fuchs to try to make the ufraw file description (xml)
as "standardized" file format in the way that you could use it in any
application having the same (or very similar) results. Mr. Fuchs told me that
one way to do it is encapsulate ufraw in a library.

I don't use digikam but I like very much this application. Also, I like the qt
and the kde project. I have been a bit surprised when today looking on the
blog of digikam I have been an entry about the libkdcraw. However, I have
seen that has a dependency with the kdelibs, as normal as a kde lib.

After this introduction I would like to ask you if it would be possible that
_all_ of you will try to collaborate as possible as you can. For example, I
respect very much the ideas of Mr. Coffin, but:

- what do you think if the other people send you little modifications of the
dcraw in the manner to help it to integrate in a library? (I have in mind the
little  modification that the libkdcraw have to do obtain the model and
camera

- Mr. Wiesweg and Mr. Caulier (digikam) what do you think to modify libkdcraw
to avoid any dependency of qt or kde in the way that the gnome team
(remember, I use kde!!!! ;-) ) or whatever program could use it?

- Mr. Fuchs, what do you think to begin to modify ufraw in a way that use
this possible library or another in common?

- Mr. Figuière what do you think about to make libopenraw in a similar way or
compatible, or whatever?

I think that it could be more interesting to have some kind of libraw (the
idea of libopenraw), with all the features that have ufraw, easily integrated
in kde and gnome, probably pure c++, or minor dependencies (exif ...) and
multi-platform  with also some kind of public xml (as ufraw file format) to
convert (adjust) any raw to something desirable, based in dcraw than having:
dcraw + libopenraw + ufraw (libufraw) + libkdcraw?

Please think about it.

Best regards,

Leo

Linux User 152692