[Kde-imaging] moving from libkexif to libexiv

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Oct 11 13:01:45 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 12:19, Tom Albers wrote:

> > > ok.

> > > IMO we can leave it as it is untill next stable. The trunk is public
> > > we don't maintain and release it anymore.
> > > After next stable we can remove it.
> >
> > When i said 'remove' it from trunk, i want mean move it to a branch. Like
> > this libkexif is always availalble somewhere.
>
> Good idea. I can move it to a tag and then remove it from trunk.
>
> > > We have, by now, a kipi-plugins
> > > version that need it, even if we can always find the revision tag, I'm
> > > sure it is easier working on trunk in case of important fixing.
> > > I believe we don't need to fix libkexif, but OTOH I'm not sure we can
> > > release a new kipi-plugins stable by now.
> >
> > well no : in JPEGLossLess, i have a 2 bugs to fix, and in my computer,
> > i'm currently working on a new plugin... (yes another one (:=))))
>
> Tell us!

This is a Metadata Editor witch can be used in Batch or Single mode. The GUI
will be similar than GPSSync about the main dialog. It will be abble to edit
all EXIF Photograph informations and all IPTC informations.

Actually, i'm fight against qtdesigner (ver. 3.x) to build IPTC and EXIF
editor dialogs. i _Hate_ it. i prefert contruct dialog from scratch because
source code is more optimized and more clear. Perhaps Qt 4.0 will provide a
better solution for that. (Note that i have the same problem under Win32
using Visual C++ | .Net)

With this plugin, you can create EXIF and IPTC from scratch or get it from a
specific picture. This tool use of course the Exiv2 library.

Later, when Exiv2 will support XMP (we have planed to do it with Andreas
Huggel, Exiv2 coordinator), well i will add XMP support to this plugin. Also,
actually Exiv2 only support JPEG in Write mode. I have a patch on my computer
to support writting mode with PNG (not yet finalized). Andreas works on TIFF
write support (including normally all RAW files format based on TIFF/EP
spec).

This tool is require by some B.K.O files in digikam area. Metadata management
is _very_ important for photographers.