[Kde-imaging] dcraw 8.42..

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Tue Nov 7 16:37:23 CET 2006

Alle 16:27, martedì 7 novembre 2006, Aurelien Gateau ha scritto:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:29:57 +0100, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at kdemail.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is a good example about the uncompatibility of dcraw command line
> > option.
> > I have tried to update the dcraw implementation into digiKam core and
> > kipi-plugins RAW converter from 8.40 and 8.42 (the last version), and look
> > like the "-s" option has _CHANGED_ :
> >
> > 8.40:    "\n-s        Use secondary pixels (Fuji Super CCD SR only)"
> >
> > 8.42:    "\n-s [0-99] Select a different raw image from the same file"
> [snip]
> > This suck roally (:=(
> [snip]
> > To support the last dcraw source code, i need to update my dcraw interface
> > in
> > both programs. It's redondant. This including a littlle question : why not
> > create a new shared "libkdcraw" library witch include this interface and
> > the
> > compatible dcraw.c implementation ?
>
> I understand your frustration :-/ this indeed sucks... not only for us, but
> also for anyone who integrated dcraw in some kind of script...
>
> While I understand that creating libkdcraw would be quite easier, maybe it
> would be worth the price to get in touch with libopenraw [1] devs. I do not
> know a lot about raw files but I believe libkdcraw have quite similar goals
> to libopenraw. Looking at Hubert Figuière blog [2], it seems libopenraw 0.0.1
> should be released soon...
>
> [1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2flibopenraw
> [2]: http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/?2006/09/15/453-towards-libopenraw-001
Well it seesm a good idea, IMHO we could try to help them, either
-if we're able- with code support or integrating their library with
our code if it isn't too unstable. So we can have more
testers for them and a library for our purpose.

It seems that the aim of libopenraw is just what we need, e.g. an
open implementation
of (lib)dcraw.