[Kde-imaging] dcraw 8.42..

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue Nov 7 15:28:25 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 16:27, Aurelien Gateau wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:29:57 +0100, Gilles Caulier
> <caulier.gilles at kdemail.net> wrote:> Hi all,> > This is a good example
> about the uncompatibility of dcraw command line> option.> I have tried to
> update the dcraw implementation into digiKam core and> kipi-plugins RAW
> converter from 8.40 and 8.42 (the last version), and look> like the "-s"
> option has _CHANGED_ :> > 8.40:    "\n-s        Use secondary pixels (Fuji
> Super CCD SR only)"> > 8.42:    "\n-s [0-99] Select a different raw image
> from the same file"[snip]> This suck roally (:=([snip]> To support the last
> dcraw source code, i need to update my dcraw interface> in> both programs.
> It's redondant. This including a littlle question : why not> to> create a
> new shared "libkdcraw" library witch include this interface and> the>
> compatible dcraw.c implementation ? I understand your frustration :-/ this
> indeed sucks... not only for us, but also for anyone who integrated dcraw
> in some kind of script... While I understand that creating libkdcraw would
> be quite easier, maybe it would be worth the price to get in touch with
> libopenraw [1] devs. I do not know a lot about raw files but I believe
> libkdcraw have quite similar goals to libopenraw. Looking at Hubert
> Figuière blog [2], it seems libopenraw 0.0.1 should be released soon...
> [1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2flibopenraw[2]:
> http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/?2006/09/15/453-towards-libopenraw-001

I know Hubert, He's a Canadian guy who speak French and use digiKam. He is
online on IRC digikam channel every day.

libopenraw is not yet suitable and progress is slow, because the goal is to do
a real library. If i remeber, actually we can only extract RAW thumbs.

My implementation is more simple but work very well to extract thumb, identify
RAW files, decode RAW data, etc.

Of course, if in the future libopenRaw come more suitable than now, well why
not use it. But i think we need to wait 1 or 2 years for that... The problem
is to backport dcraw implementation each time it's necessary. Dave Coffin
(dcraw author) don't work in libopenraw lib, and this is _the_ problem.

Personnally, i think than doing libopenraw in this way is very complex and can
be never completed. No blame from me to Hubert here, but i now very weel the
RAW complexity to have tried to do the same thing in digiKam core.

My current solution is :

- more simple.
- fast.
- thread-safe.
- work perfectly at now (:=))).

Also, i would to add in this libkdcraw library the RAW decoding settings
widget witch is common to RAWConverter kipi-plugins and digiKam IOFiles setup
(duplicate code in fact).

In all case, i would to do it later digiKam 0.9.0 final release.

Note : i have updated the dcraw.c implementation in RawConvert plugin using
the last compatible version available 8.41.