[Kde-imaging] Fwd: kipi hackers wanted

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue May 23 14:17:08 CEST 2006

Le Mardi 23 Mai 2006 12:39 PM, Caulier Gilles a écrit :
> Brett,
>
> I forward this message to kde-imaging mailing list. If you want to contribe
> in kipi project, please subscribe into this one.
>
> We will continue this thread in this room (:=))
>
> Gilles

Thanks about digiKam.

If you following my technical tips, This will be easy...

Unforget that Angelo is the kipi task coordinator. He will guide you too.

> > With JPEGLossLess, still 3 problems :
> >
> > - Exif metadata to update when a JPEG file is transformed : Image
> > dimension informations and Exif Thumb. Using Exiv2 library is the better
> > way to do it (very easy, already done in digiKam core for the same
> > subject). In fact, libkexif depency need to be removed in all plugins and
> > remplaced by Exiv2 library.
>
> Sure, this sounds relatively simple. I'll get on this first.

Take a care that to use Exiv2, we need to add a new depency into kipi-plugins.
I'm not sure that we can do it now, because we will have 2 libs depencies :
libkexif and Exiv2.

This is want mean that if we want a clean final kipi-plugins package, libkexif
need to be removed. To do it, all others plugins with use libkexif need to
fix fixed to use Exiv2 instead. To do it we need to have the viewpoint from
others plugins maintenors and from Angelo of course.

For that, i recommend you to delay this task a little...

> > - ImageMagick Exception rules are uncorrect : i have used Magick++ to
> > handle others file format than JPEG. C++ exception from IM are
> > uncompatible with Qt/KDE. We need to use MagickWand API instead. I have a
> > patch for imagerotate.cpp in my computer. still todo imageflip.cpp and
> > convert2grayscale.cpp.
>
> Can you send imagerotate.cpp to me? I can get started from that...

The patch is attached to this mail. It use libMagick, not libMagick++. You
need to fix the Makefile.am.

But, i'm not sure to link kipi-plugins with ImageMagick library is the right
way, because there are too main problem that i has identify :

1. Magick++ exception is uncompatible with Qt/KDE. The plugin crash !!! We
must use the C API instead the C++ API...
2. There is an incompatibility between ImageMagick TIFF/EP loader and
TIFF-KFilePlugins from KDE API. This problem suck roally and crash the host
if the plugin is used with some TIFF files and if the host use KFileMetaInfo
class to parse the same file. This is the case of digiKam from trunk when you
enable the Properties side bar on the right of album interface.

About this problem, after to have investiguate indeep and with the feedback
from others developper (thanks to Marcel Wiesweg), this is not a problem in
digiKam, ImageMagick, or tiff-KFilePlugin, but a libtiff conception problem
about a common exception handler method. I can give you more technical
informations if you want...

There is a patch from me for TIFF-KFilePlugin (not tested and not commited in
svn) joined to this mail. I'm not sure if this patch will solve definitivly
the problem...

This is why, i think we need to process differently in this plugin with all
others non-JPEG file formats. Of course, we will use ImageMagick but using
Kprocess and the command line tool, like it does in BatchProcessImages
plugin. This is want mean that the thread implemmentation in JPEGlossLess
plugin will be only used to process jpeg files and for all others, we need to
use a new implementation.

Using KProcess is easy. You have my implementation from BatchProcessImage
plugin like inspiration.

If you is agree to use this way, you just need to parse all image file formats
to process with the current plugin instance, and processed non-JPEG files in
first with KProcess, and after the JPEG files using the current
implementation.

> Again, sorry for the response delay. I missed your message. But don't worry
>  -- I'm getting on top of things.

No problem. Welcome in the team.