[Kde-imaging] Prepare the future : using Exiv2 library everywhere in kipi-plugin...

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu May 4 17:01:03 CEST 2006

Hi all,

If anybody don't know Exiv2 C++ library, take a look here :

http://www.exiv2.org

The advantages against libkexif are important :

- Extract exif/makernote from RAW files like NEF, CR2, CRW, DNG, PEF, etc
(current svn).
- Extract exif/makernote from TIFF/EP files (current svn).
- Extract exif/makernote/iptc from all JPEG files.
- set exif/makernote/iptc from all JPEG files.
- Create from scratch exif/makernote/iptc.
- and more...

To the next release, normally it will be possible to set Exif/makernote/iptc
to TIFF/EP files.

digiKam 0.9.0 will use Exiv2 everywhere. libkexif have been completly removed.
digiKam team don't support libkexif in the future.

Also, i working into Exiv2 project actually. I have done MRW raw file parser
and i will working on new Minolta makernotes parser. Also in the future, I
will done a PNG parser to get/set Exif/makernote/iptc.

In the future Exiv2 project have planed to siupport XMP metadata. This is the
future !

Using Exiv2 is very easy (against libkexif (:=))). Using this library will
solve a lot of files in B.K.O about metadata.

Jesper, Kphotoalbum use Exiv2 now. i'm sure that you will second my viewpoint.

Your viewpoints welcome...

Gilles Caulier