[Kde-imaging] Future of KIPI - waitaminute, please

Joern Ahrens joern.ahrens at kdemail.net
Mon Jan 30 21:53:07 CET 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 20:06, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2006 12:54, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> | Le Lundi 30 Janvier 2006 15:41, Jesper K. Pedersen a écrit :

> | > My contribution to KIPI are on the other hand not non-existent - I try
> | > to keep it at a marketing level. I did for example do a KIPI tutorial
> | > at the latest KDE conference, and in one of the upcoming month there is
> | > a large article on KIPI on a German Linux magazine.
Yes, I know your presentation. Actually my kipi-plugin simpleviewerexport is
based on it.

> | > Besides I spent literally man month up front designing+developing KIPI,
> | > and doing the basic port of most digiKam plugins to KIPI, with a lot of
> | > help from Gilles.
> | >
> | > As I said, I strongly urges you to keep KIPI alive, if not for me, then
> | > for all the users we share, who enjoyes their favorite features in all
> | > of the KIPI enabled applications.
> |
> | Hi Jesper,
> |
> | I'm sorry to give a bad sound here, but about me, I have waiting too long
> | a response from others kipi hosts main developpers about any important
> | subject relevant of future of libkipi/kipi-plugins.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you refer to here, but if you are talking about
> the delay in my response to this thread, you might have considered CC'ing
> me on the initial post.

No Jesper, it isn't you in person. But the problem is, several projects uses
the kipi-plugins but nobody ever tried to make a release or spent some time
on bko - there are plenty of reports.... In the past we tried to manage the
kipi's (more or less) as we did for digikam. But everyone of us is working
full-time in his real-life job, so it is impossible for us to manage both
projects.

> | About kipi, i think to share plugins between many hosts application is a
> | great idea... if, and only if... there are most than one, two, or tree
> | developpers/maintenor in the team (typically me, Joern, and Tom)
>
> Well with that argument, you also suggest that we should inline tools like
> exif libraries maintained by only a few people.
>
> If you are asking for help on the KIPI plugins, why don't you say so?

Why are all projects just waiting? The plugins are shared between 4 projects.

> How about at least postponing the decision till after my KIPI article has
> been posted, that article might actually generate some new developers.

Will that article be available online too?

> Sorry, but I don't see how that is changing anything from killing KIPI.

I don't understand why you say we kill KIPI? We can't do the administrative
stuff anymore, but that seems to be the same for the other projects.... So if
we kill kipi, every kipi-enabled project kills a bit from kipi.

... Jörn