[Kde-imaging] Future of KIPI - waitaminute, please

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Jan 30 15:41:16 CET 2006

First of all, please excuse me the late answer, I'm on a business trip (well
I'm with a customer, and has been so since September).

I'm the developer of KPhotoAlbum (previously known as KimDaBa), and I strongly
urges you to reconsider killing KIPI.

I agree that I haven't contributed much to KIPI lately, but on the other hand
I don't contribute much to other libraries that KPhotoAlbum uses, such as
KDE-libs, KExiv2 etc.
On my side I considered KIPI in good hands and went on focuses on other parts.
I haven't implemented a single feature in KPhotoAlbum that could have been
located in KIPI, actually on the contrary, I'm slowly working on a Bibble
integration plugin.

My contribution to KIPI are on the other hand not non-existent - I try to keep
it at a marketing level. I did for example do a KIPI tutorial at the latest
KDE conference, and in one of the upcoming month there is a large article on
KIPI on a German Linux magazine.

Besides I spent literally man month up front designing+developing KIPI, and
doing the basic port of most digiKam plugins to KIPI, with a lot of help from
Gilles.

As I said, I strongly urges you to keep KIPI alive, if not for me, then for
all the users we share, who enjoyes their favorite features in all of the
KIPI enabled applications.

Kind Regards
Jesper.

--
Jesper K. Pedersen          |  Klarälvdalens Datakonsult
Senior Software Engineer    |  www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se