[Kde-imaging] Discussing the future of kipi and kipi-plugins

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jan 30 12:36:45 CET 2006

> Alle 15:41, domenica 29 gennaio 2006, Tom Albers ha scritto:
> > > I'm full agree with you Joern. You already know my viewpoint about kipi
> > > and others projects witch uses plugins (outside digikam of course).
> >
> > Ok, lets pull the plug then. We need to think about how to move the
> > kipi's back to digiKam. I suppose we can do that best at digikam-devel.
> >
> > toma
>
> I don't like this solution, but if no one tells that he's not agree...
> I will say my last comment then, as a user i probably don't know
> kipi/kipi-plugins are plugins of my preferred image viewer (let's say
> gwenview), so i cannot understand what you're going to decide. What i see
> is i won't have my features any more... that's bad IMO (even if
> digikam-devel could solve the problem for developers). As a packager it
> means who care about digikam package will have to manage some confilicts.
> As a developer, which I'm in life not in this project, it is very sad to
> see how a great idea and job is failing....

Yes it's very sad to see a good idea die - but the project was kind of dead
cause of the missing participation of the NON-digikam projects (maybe you
should contact your gwenview devels and "complain"). In the whole time of the
discussion not even ONE devel from another KDE imaging program posted his/her
opinion here. A bad sign, though!

I guess for you it dosn't mean you loose the current kipi-plugings as this is
OSS - nobody is puting the code into the locker. So at least the last
kipi-plugins release can still be used for gwenview etc. But they have to
maintain it themselve from there on.