[Kde-imaging] Discussing the future of kipi and kipi-plugins

Vardhman Jain vardhman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:19:20 CET 2006

On 01/02/06, Joern Ahrens <joern.ahrens at kdemail.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:26, Richard Groult wrote:
> > Hi, (I'm the showimg developper),
> > I've just read that kipi could disappeared and I think it's a bad idea.
> > Even if there are no a lot of new plugins, kipi is a great project and
> > I think users like it.
>
> Yes, I agree. Sharing plugins between several applications is a great
> idea.
> But we should share the work as well, because we all seem to have the same
> problem: a lack of time and enough work with our main projects.
>
> > I've help to write a plugin, but I can help to maintain/improved others.
> > What kind of new plugins could we add? We should discuss on new
> features.
>
> It is neither a problem of new plugins nor the lack of documentation. But
> there are a lot of reports in bko which have to be worked off.
>
> ... Jörn

As a Digikam and KDE user and also as a developer, I take freedom of sharing
some of my opinions.

1) Image Viewers like GwenView or showimg are not supposed to have great
functionality that some KIPI plugins can provide. I never expect to export
images to various places from an image viewer. As far as I see its only
replication of functionality.
2) Due to limilations of other apps UI, Kipi-plugins can't get a good UI.
Though I mentioned this in earlier discussion, I would say again. The Image
selection dialog in the kipi-plugins itself show the awkward-ness in using
them. I would ideally like to have a advanced image selection window which
digikam functionality like searching with tags etc might provide.
Besides this kipi plugin always look to much detached from the main digikam
application window. A proper intergration with Digikam will make them much
more usable.
3) Development wise, I felt handicapped at not being able to use detailed
information a Digikam image would store. For e.g in my application I
couldn't use tags stored with the image in Digikam. I was of course
suggested to update the kipi-lib support to make it work, but again the code
only becomes dirtier when one apps sends you some data and other doesn't and
soon.

Just my opinion
Vardhman
--