[Kde-imaging] Xmas pressies - anyone recommend a good GPS device?

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:38:17 CET 2006

Angelo Naselli wrote:
> Alle 11:59, martedì 12 dicembre 2006, Gilles Caulier ha scritto:
>
>>On Tuesday 12 December 2006 11:41, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Seeing as Gilles has put in some excellent work on the GPS plugin, I'm
>>>eager to start GPSing my photos (especially my skiing/boarding holidays
>>>etc.).
>>>
>>>Can anyone recommend a nice, compact, linux friendly GPS device?
>>>
>>>I don't really know where to begin with GPS on linux support, so figure
>>>here is a good place to ask :)
>>>
>>>Col.
>>
>>This one :
>>
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080202sonygpscs1.asp
>
> Gilles, if you don't have a sony camera?
>
> BTW, how does it work?

The GPS just keeps a track with GPS position and date/time (very
accurate in GPS devices). Then, the software (eg gpssync kipi-plugins or
the windows software they provide) uses the date/time in the digital
camera (usually not accurate at all) to get the right position :)
So, it's independant of the manufacturer (but I don't know anything
about their windows software).

The only important point is to define precisely the date/time of the
digital camera (at least once a week because it's not accurate at all).
Somebody suggested to take a picture of a GPS date/time to check the
time (if your GPS provides this feature) and I think it's a simple but
great idea :)

--
Fabien