[Kde-imaging] ImageSelection dialog in kipi plugins

Vardhman Jain vardhman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 15:05:21 CEST 2005

On 23/10/05, Jesper K. Pedersen <blackie at blackie.dk> wrote:

> Could you explain why you would want this feature in the first place.

As digikam improves we have many great feature like quick image search etc,
when someone wants to upload his /her photographs he might simply like to
filter the image by search option and then select and upload them all.

to give an example suppose a user who always uses KDE apps, opens a gtk
app(firefox) and wants to open/save a file, a new kind of dialog pops up
(GTK fileopen dialog) which looks very premitive compared to what he is used
to in KDE. He can't particularly use the bookmarks of directory which KDE
dialog offers in the fileopen dialog. This is ofcourse inconvinient and
painful.

Similarly if I use digikam for my photomanagement I would expect advance
digikam features like filtering using tags/ search string etc to be
available in fileopendialog of digikam, rather than using the old fashioned
style of browsing by going to each directory etc. For other kipi supporting
apps this dialog will have no sense because they may not have tags or
searching functionality as digikam does.

Basically user doesn't care to know if some functionality in digikam is due
to KIPI plugin or due to digikam's code he should be able to use the
functionality the best way and not have to change his experience of using
digikam for that single functionality when in reality its a simple thing to
implement.

Just my view, Open to your criticism :)
Vardhman
--