[Kde-imaging] Re: Digikam

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Thu Mar 10 17:31:59 CET 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 14:25, Benjamin Piwowarski wrote:

> >FWIW:  There are many (KDE) web gallery application out there.
> >Implementing all you want if not a small programming task.  So
> >I would suggest to check if an existing application fits your
> >need an try to integrate via a kipi-pluigin.
> >
> >Of course what to it's your choice and important is that you have
> >fun.  Keep us informed and welcome on (kipi) board.
> >

> I know there is a lot of existing galleries generators. But I would like
> this one to be tightly integrated to digikam; the idea would be to have
> persistent folders - each base folder representing a web server. The
> hierarchy within a web server would be a hierarchy of galleries, where
> each setting can be overwritten.
> Photos could be put in a gallery just by drag & drop. Photos could be
> shared between galleries and it could even be a support for seach (on
> tags, etc.). Changes on photos/galleries could be automatically detected
> and web sites would be automatically updated.
> I am not sure if it can be developped as a kipi plugin nor if such a
> project exists (I didn't find it on the web).

My naive point of view:
I guess that, let's say, 98% of the code you have to write is
independent of digikam.  Say if you 'waste' 80% of your time
discussing with the current gallery developer and code only 20%.
Nevertheless you reach your goal 10 time faster (1/50 * 5) as
if you do it alone.

There is also a much higher change that you 'project' survives,
because there is already the active community of the web gallery.
and everything they do, help you and digikam.

But as I said:  It's your choice.  Do what you like and have fun!

For me this mean in most cases tighly working and discussing with
others.   But your case may be different and my suggestion not a
big help.

Achim