[Kde-imaging] KIPI initialization

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Jun 13 15:55:37 CEST 2005

 Hello,

 during startup of Gwenview the initialization of KIPI plugins takes 1-2s on
850MHz machine, which is a significant portion of the startup time. Probably
not that big deal for apps like Digikam which are more of an image catalogue
app, but it quite hurts for the case of running Gwenview only in order to
view a single image. Initialization of KIPI plugins moreover is basically
just loading the plugin and creating at most a handful of KAction's.

 The attached patches implement delayed loading of KIPI plugins in Gwenview
and a small API change in KIPI needed for that (plus it depends on a recent
KAccel change I did today in kdelibs). The API change is just making
KIPI::PluginLoader::loadPlugin( KIPI::PluginLoader::Info* ) public, plus
increasing the version number in order to be able to detect this (I don't
actually care about the actual version number). Are the changes ok with you?

 (Gwenview part)

 I noticed the code for toolbars doesn't seem to handle plugins, so my code
only handles the case of the plugins menu and shortcuts. If there's a way
found to create also toolbar icons for KIPI plugins it shouldn't be too
difficult to cache information needed also for that. Just the
enabled/disabled state of the icon wouldn't follow, but I think that'd be
just nitpicking. The patch also changes the default of --enable-kipi to
autodetect whether KIPI plugins are available - I don't see any reason why it
should default to off with this patch. Ok to commit?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org