[Kde-imaging] pkg-config and other stuff

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Tue Sep 21 21:06:49 CEST 2004

Le mardi 21 Septembre 2004 20:12, Renchi Raju a écrit :
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |

> > | And anothers :
> > |
> > | 4) In Kimdaba, there is already an option for to export the images in
> > | an HTML page. The kipi html export is redundant...
> > |
> > | 5) In ShowImg there is a Backup to CD option. The kipi CD archiving is
> > | redundant...
> > |
> > | ==> The banners to the top of kipi dialogs is a way for to distinct
> > | correctly the hosts based options and the kipi options ! My works for
> > | to add a graphical banner (K3b inspired) is relevant from discutions
> > | with kipi users by IM. Someone are very confuse to find 2 options who
> > | provide the same features.
> > |
> > | Also, I think a banner adding a cool touch in the kipi dialogs (like
> > | k3b). Or perhaps, i'm wrong and i have always bad ideas for the GUI
> > | construction
> >
> > As I said previous on, I back this change up.
>
> let me give my arguments against the addition of the banner:
>
> plugins are not standalone apps and are meant to be integrated well into
> a app. the ideal goal, imho, would be for the end-user to never realize
> that the provided functionality comes from a plugin. konqueror for example
> embeds lots of parts, but we don't see the parts standing out in any way.

Konqueror plugins are for konqueror, and konqueror only...

> it is quite possible that the plugins might be buggy and the user reports
> these bugs to the host app instead of kipi-plugins. i don't see this as a
> big deal, as the app maintainer with a couple of clicks can reassign the
> bugs.

The KAbout solve this problem...

> i understand the importance of giving credit where its due in the case of
> plugin authors, but for that the about data/dialog already does the same.

(:=))) i don't care if my personnal informations like an author aren't
available. i don't work on kipi/digikam for gloria, but for to have the best
images managment program....

> if the apps are including these plugins in addition to the existing
> functionality and its causing confusion for the user, then it is an app
> specific problem. the functionality of disabling/ignoring plugins is
> already available.

Not sure. the users can use the both fonctionalities (for to test by example).
I don't think that the host must necessary disable a kipi options because the
feature already exist !

In this case, i think that a menu re-organisation is better.

> having said that, kipi-development is a democracy and in the democracy the
> majority wins :). so i will go with what the majority decides.

(:=))) me too. if you will vote again the banner, i will remove the code...

> renchi
>
> PS: it might not be such a bad idea to run it by the usability/quality
> team to see what they think.

Witch usability/quality team you mean ?