[Kde-imaging] Batch rename plugin

Jean-Michel FAYARD jmfayard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 11:46:47 CEST 2004

"File dates : change dates of the file" has nothing to do here, and
should move in TimeAdjust Plugin
"Sort original list by" size et al. doesn't seems to work
Feature request : In the "Image File List", you can only add or remove
pictures one by one, which  is a pain if you have a lot of pictures.
Make it possible to select many filenames at once.
In the "Rename iamge file options" popup, each time I enter or erase a
letter in the prefix string, the "Image file list" parent window is
updated.

That is very good, but this update the little thumbnail (which is not
likely to change)
on the left, making this blink and a bit slow down on each letter.

Otherwise, the plugin is powerful, but it doesn't make easy the simple
thing a KIPI user
wants to use 90% of the time :
    "the user has downloaded a whole bunch of pictures from his
camera. They have
   ugly names. The user wants to rename fast all pictures with a
meanningful prefix".
There are problems for this :
* I could live without that, but it would be good to change
    [ Options ]
    Prefix string :	    [..........]
    [ More Options ]

* The plugin does not rename the pictures, but copy each original to
the new name
    then remove the original. So when you just want to rename a bunch
of pictures,
    this is long, while as a user, I expected it to be a very fast operation.

* More importantly : the user has to pay attention that by default, the pictures
    will go in another directory. I expect many "Oups, where are my
pictures" the first times.
    Things are worse if you have pictures from multiple directories,
you just can't keep them
    in their current directory.
    I would love something inspired by the macosX or the new Gnome
file save dialog
	http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/designs/file_selector/background.html
    That is by default :
	[x] Keep pictures in their folders
    When I uncheck that, the current widget for choosing a folder appear.