Fwd: Re: [Kde-imaging] Manipulating image data from within a KIPI plugin

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Sun May 16 19:30:11 CEST 2004

> | I think you misunderstood me. I was thinking about plugins similar to
> | GIMP filters: plugins which would alter the image data loaded by an host
> | app. The host app would load the image in a QImage and let the plugin
> | access it through the Interface::image() method. Whenever the plugin
> | modifies the image, it calls Interface::setImageDirty() so that the host
> | app can refresh its display. This will let you implement sharpen, blur or
> | other nifty image fx as plugins.
>
> Ahhh now I understand you, but this requires a complete new set of plugins
> doesn't it. And will adding an image() method be enough? I mean that kind
> of plugins reacts to the user doing actions with the mouse on an image,
> doesn't it? So we would need a way to allow mouse events in a viewer of the
> image to get to the plugin, or do I still misunderstand you?

You're getting closer :-).
If you look at the GIMP filters, they work with a dialog which displays a
preview of the effect. So I think the image() method will be enough, maybe we
can add a selection() method which would return a QRegion if we want to do
more advanced stuff. I don't think we need mouse events.