[Kde-imaging] Album == Directory problem again

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Sun May 9 23:24:00 CEST 2004

I just found yet another plugin which assumes album == directory, namely
misc-utils which has some functions for opening an album (ie. the directory
it maps) in an external application (the apps supported are nautilus and
konqueror).

If we hit too many of these we risk to loose the backing from those
applications (e.g. digikam) which do have album==dir. So this makes me wonder
if this would be another candidate for a KIPI::feature as we discussed last
week.

The feature could be named something like AlbumEQDir.
and when that features was present a new method named, say
ImageCollection::path() would return the path for the given album (in case
the image collection was for an album), and otherwise ImageCollection::path()
might return anything - e.g. QString::null or the path of the directory for
which most images came from.

The plugins which really requires this feature (like the example above), could
simply return an empty ActionCollection, and contribute no actions to the
application when loaded.

An even better alternatively could be to have an X-KIPI-ReqFeatures flag to
trader which made the plugin indicate which features it requires to be
usefull. When loading plugins, the pluginloader would only load those plugins
for which the application offered all the required features.

What do you think?

Cheers
Jesper