[Kde-imaging] Selecting images for plugins

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Jun 28 14:33:52 CEST 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 14:13, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
| Le jeudi 24 Juin 2004 18:00, Jesper K. Pedersen a écrit :
| > May I conclude that you state that what we currently have is just fine
| > (modulo the currentScope)?
| > If so, then I agree with you, personally I have no need for changing
| > things as they are now.
| >
| > Could we agree on the currentScope() function being virtual, so KimDaBa
| > could reimplement it to its current value, with the default being to
| > return the selection?
| > Still keeping currentSelection and currentAlbum in case som plugin wanted
| > to do something specific.
|
| If we agree on having libkipi (not the host app) supply a widget for album
| selection (I'll call it KIPI::AlbumSelector for now), then we can have an
| AlbumSelector::images() method for plugins which needs it. The current*
| methods should only be used by dialog-less plugins.
| As far as I'm concerned, I think the current* methods are ok. Plugins which
| modify the images should use currentSelection() only, plugins which only
| read images should use either one of the three methods.
| I don't see a need for it being virtual now, but it should not imply any
| performance cost, so I'm ok to have it virtual if you need.
Well I'm afraid is it not as easy as that.
As I said earlier in this thread, I prefer the way things are now, but could
accept the selection widget, if it was not too much trouble for the plugins,
and if it was forced upon the plugin deevloper (if not forced upon plugins,
we would not gain anything from this change, which was our starting point)

Second, having the host app supply a widget, will not make it possible for me
to get back to the original setup (as it is now). The reason is that in a
widget() method I would not be able to know if I should return a widget
(which would be the case for plugins that currently uses a widget), or if I
should return nothing (which is the case for those widgets, that currently
uses no widget).

As I said, I really don't care much more about this topic (at least not if we
could implement it the way suggested a few email ago - where all albums was
selected if noone was the current one, and if virtual method was used - as
suggested by me originally, then it should be default implemented as above),
so I'll let this up to you an Renchi to decide on.