[Kde-imaging] ImageCollection or Browser

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 23 14:09:57 CEST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Gilles Caulier wrote:

> > > yes
> >
> > that is just not right
>
> Why ? It's work fine and it's not confuse for the users. Also this way
> is very suitable for Gwenview and Kimdaba.

i don't how its more suitable for gwenview and kimdaba; but if i, as a
user, chooses to run this action will expect it act only on the selected
items and bail out if there are not images selected. an analogy to this
would be the delete items action available in most apps. if the user
clicks on it, he/she expects it act only on the selected items, not all
the items in the view. there might be plugins with non-reversible actions
and they should act on only those items which have been specifically
chosen by the user (using selection). one might say that for such actions
the plugin should require further interaction from the user; but then you
are putting the responsibility on the plugin author. another
possibility is that app disables such actions when there is no
selection; but then again we are shifting the responsibility to the app.
its our job to get the interface correct.

maybe i'm not explaining this in the best possible manner. i would
recommend that you ask a few users as to what they expect in such a
scenario.

renchi