[Kde-imaging] ImageCollection or Browser

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 23 01:10:32 CEST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Aurelien Gateau wrote:

> > I would like to start the discussion with the first issue: ImageCollection
> or
> > Browser.
> >
> > This issue is described in the libkipi/design document, wrote by Jesper. In
> > short, I suggested to modify all plugins to use a QListView which would
> > display the available image collections, letting the user select an image
> > collection within this list.
> >
> > Jesper had a problem with this because this model would not fit with the way
> > KimDaBa works. Instead, he suggested to replace the current system with a
> new
> > host-app implemented class: KIPI::Browser, which would provide to the
> > plugins:
> > - A widget to choose images from
> > - A method to get the list of images the user selected.
>
> Hum... I hate doing this, but does no one have an opinion on this issue?

sorry..., been busy with stuff.

from what i understand with regards to accessing images from the app,there
are two classes of plugins:

1) plugins which work on the currently selected images or all the images
in the classes. its important to clearly differentiate between the two, as
there are plugins (like wallpaper and rotation) where action needs to be
taken only on the currently selected images. the currentSelection() and
currentAlbum() methods work well for this purpose. i don't understand the
concept of currentScope(); what purpose does it serve?

2) plugins which work on groups of images (imagecollection/albums) for eg,
the cdarchiving plugin which would like to put these groups of images into
individual folders on the cd. afaik only digikam has the concept of
allalbums() for this purpose. but it would be nice to have the option of
providing plugins with a way to select multiple image groups (for eg, in
the case of cdarchiving plugin user doesn't want to create cds with single
folders). here, jesper's suggestion of the browser class will work well; a
widget is provided from the app which provides a way of selecting the
image groups or just a single group of images if the host app doesn't want
to provide a selection widget.

renchi