Fwd: Re: [Kde-imaging] kdeextragear-libs-1/kipi-plugins

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 17 20:27:44 CEST 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, [iso-8859-15] Aurélien Gâteau wrote:

> Le jeudi 17 Juin 2004 01:11, Renchi Raju a écrit :
> > here are results from my benchmarking (code attached. note there is
> > substantial memory leak in the code which i didn't fix). depth conversion
> > is not possible with imlib2 :
> > (the scaling is to 50% of original size).
>
> Thanks for this bench. Unfortunatelly, I can't run it on my work machine
> because I can't install Imlib2 (Debian Woody). I will try it at home. It
> seems that Imlib2 is indeed faster than Qt, but the dependency troubles make
> it not worth the price IMHO.

my opinion on this issue is that libkipi should have minimal dependencies,
as some or most of our apps will depend on it. but when it comes to
plugins, i think we should leave it upto the plugin author to decide how
the functionality (and hence the dependencies) is provided. by making use
configure scripts, one can easily enable/disable compiling individual plugins.

> Another thing: I think the rotation test is not
> fair because for the Imlib2 version you use a special 90° optimized rotation
> function while for Qt you use the free angle rotation method.

very true. but its very rare for one to do free angle rotation. there are
free angle rotations in imlib2 too; though i haven't tested them

renchi