[Kde-imaging] ROADMAP/TODO ?

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Thu Jun 17 18:14:41 CEST 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 18:00, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
| Hello,
|
| Looking at how there's a lot of activity in libkipi and kipi-plugins, and
| taking into account the fact that Jesper would like to start using KIPI
| releases, I think we need some kind of ROADMAP/TODO to define what remains
| to be done before we can consider KIPI ready and can freeze the API.
|
| Here is my own list:
| - Find an agreement on the way KIPI plugins should import images. We
| started to discuss this with Jesper on a late evening, but stopped because
| of tiredness :-)
| - Make a decision on some terms: should we use "album" or "image
| collection" or both (if so, explain the difference in a README file)
| - Use d pointers in all public classes. This is necessary to achieve binary
| compatibility.
| - Fix configure scripts (Slideshow problems).
| - Set in stone the category list.
|
| What do you think about this? If everyone find this useful, we could create
| a TODO file in libkipi.
I think this is a good idea.
How should we discuss this? Email/IRC/Jabber?

I do of course have lots of comments for each of the items above already, but
lets not start the discussion before we have decided what to discuss plus how
to discuss.

Let me add to the list:
- Binary Compatibility
- How do we handle changes in the future
- How do we versioning KIPI and its plugins in the future (Is there a way
where we can prevent host apps from crashing due to a wrong version)

I think we need to have one thing in mind wrt to the above:
We have now 3 independent apps using KIPI, with a few mores on their way. It
will be hard to get releases synchronized for all of these, still we will
likely break BC at some point, and we need a way to resolve these issues,
when we get to that discussion, I'd like to invite either David Faure or
Simon Hausmann on these discussion, as they are much more experienced on
these matters than any of us.

Cheers
Jesper