[Kde-imaging] currentScope and friends

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Fri Jun 4 16:12:59 CEST 2004

> | I can't see why a plugin would use currentSelection() instead of
> | currentScope() and I think it's better to add methods when they are
> | needed rather than just in case. This prevents API bloat.
>
> sure, but on the other hand adding methods later on breaks binary
> compatibility. Its a trade of.
> I can't tell you which situation you only want a selection and not the
> currentScope(), but I'm sure there will be some if we dont include this
> method.

Binary compatibility is a worthy goal, but I think it's too soon for this.
KIPI is still in early stage of development.

> | Then your implementation of allAlbums() is broken. What's the goal of
> | such a method if it does not return *all* albums? or maybe you will tell
> | me that Album!=ImageCollection? This is getting way too complex.
>
> Lets get it over with.
> Please stop comming with such aggressive statements as the above!
> Saying that "Then your implementation of allAlbums() is broken." doesn't
> really help. We need to work together here, ALL of use need to give in to
> compromises, our applications are different, so your way doesn't need to be
> the only correct one!

Ok, I agree this was too aggressive. But to my defence I would like to say
that if we want to work together, then we should not make API changes without
discussing them on the mailing list before.
I know that I can be quite stubborn and that you are working more than me on
KIPI (I hope to find more time after my wedding, next week) but nevertheless,
discussion is necessary.

> The way I implemented the all album is that I take the current scope (that
> is use the set of images the user has so far browsed to), and segment them
> using the category "keyword"
>
> This has the drawback that one image can be in several albums (You can have
> as many keywords set for one image as you like), and it has the drawback
> that the current album is not one of the albums - actually the current
> album is the sum of all the albums.

I don't know KimDaBa a lot, but maybe you can just add the currentScope()
album to the list returned by allAlbums().