[Kde-imaging] libkexif

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Mon Jul 26 20:39:55 CEST 2004

Hi,

first of all: thx for adding the GPL copyright notice to all
source files!!

During my second round to pkg libkexif for debian I noticed
some cosmetic stuff  (please forgive me if some notes are
brain dead stupid):

	o config.h is included public header file kexifentry.h
	  AFIAU config.h should only be used to build libkexif
	  not whan it is used.

	o configure default is to use -rpath by default and it's installed
	  into /usr/local/lib.  IMVHO disable it by default is
	  better if by default libs don't go into a 'non' standard
	  dir.

	o include dir is /usr/include/libkexif not /usr/include,
	  /usr/include/libkexif0.  (Well, my favorite would be
	  /usr/include/kde3/)

	  If you prefer to stick with /usr/include/libexif, I would
	  suggest to document if -I/path/libkexif or #include <libkexif/...>
	  should be used.  AFAIR it was mandrake that put obex stuff into
	  /usr/include instead of a obex subdir and this broke code using
	  #include <obex/...>  for kdebluetooth.  Would be nice if libkexif
	  could prevent this trouble right from the start ;)

	o kexifutils.h uses #include "kexifdata.h".  Because kexifdata.h
	  is also installed into /usr/include shouldn't this be
	  #include <kexifdata.h>?

	o <stupid-question> the installed *.h files corresponds to the
	  *.cpp in the source.  From a developers POV isn't just one/or two
	  kexif.h 'enough' for a small library like libkexif? </stupid-question>

	o libkexif is not linked against libqt-mt or any kdelib.
	  Is this done on purpose?
	  At least debian requires a shared lib is linked against
	  all shared libs it depends on. See 3 paragraph of
		http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-libraries
	  Why is also described there (dlopen usage).

Achim
                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com