[Kde-i18n-sr] Incomplete kde-l10n-sr pack on KDE FTP server, complete pack here

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic на gmx.net
Уто Мар 8 08:59:56 UTC 2012

> [: Max Brazhnikov :]
> Is there a reason to not pack sr@* separately, like ca and ca на valencia for
> example?

I'm not sufficiently familiar with ca/ca на valencia situation to make
comparison, so here is the reason for sr@* on its own:

On the theoretical side. All four sr@* variants are part of single Serbian
language standard, both on the official level and in everyday life. All
sorts of written materials are published in any of the variants, all over
the Serbian-speaking communities. In particular, from elementary school
onwards, all children are put in contact with texts in any of these
variants. Even on single-person level, many people regularly use more than
one variant, depending on where and what they are expressing.

On the practical side. During KDE 3, we've had a constant stream of
questions "I installed Serbian language, but I get only <variant-A>, how can
I get <variant-B>?". Due to the above, people simply expect "Serbian
language" to mean the variant they would like (and this is what they had
with most Gettext-based non-KDE codes, since they install all languages no
questions asked). For a public or semi-public multi-user machine, it makes
no sense whatsoever to install one variant and not the others; but this was
happening all the time, and people were even less happier when they were
told to "find the sysadmin" and ask him to install all variants. Even for
a household machine, different members of the hausehold may use different
variants. Since we started delivering the unified package with KDE 4, all
these questions "where is <variant-X>" disappeared. (Well, except when the
language pack was truncated, and except on Ubuntu...)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)