[Kde-i18n-pt_br] Fwd: KTTS and IBM TTS

Henrique Pinto henrique.pinto em kdemail.net
Sexta Janeiro 13 21:10:22 CET 2006

Olá a todos!

O mantenedor do KTTS (KDE Text-to-Speech System) gostaria de adicionar um
plugin para suporte ao sistema TTS da IBM. Esse suporte seria particularmente
interessante para usuários brasileiros, uma vez que o Via Voice me parece ser
o único sistema desse tipo que suporta o Português falado por aqui. Porém,
para que isso seja feito, será necessário quebrar o "message freeze" e
adicionar em torno de 10 a 15 strings no módulo kdeaccessibility. (A mensagem
original, abaixo, fornece mais detalhes.)

O time de tradução para Português do Brasil --em especial o Felipe Miguel, que
é responsável pelo kdeaccessibility -- teria algum problema quanto à adição
desse plug-in?

Subject: KTTS and IBM TTS
Date: Fri 13 Jan 2006 00:21
From: Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt em comcast.net>
To: kde-i18n-doc em kde.org
Cc: Olaf Schmidt <ojschmidt em kde.org>, janina em freestandards.org

IBM markets a commercial text-to-speech product for Linux called IBM TTS
a.k.a. IBM ViaVoice.

Recently, IBM released an open source ABI toolkit for their product.  A copy
of the announcement follows.  The ABI toolkit is distributed under the Common
Public License.  Individual retail copies of the IBM TTS runtime are being
sold by Capital Accessibility for approx. 40 USD.

I would like to add a plugin to KTTS to support the IBM TTS.  This will
require at least one additional user configuration screen in KTTSMgr, and
therefore, perhaps a dozen new translation strings.  In addition, the
Handbook will need to be updated to include the new plugin.

Janina Sajka, who is associated with Capital Accessibility, and which some of
you may recognize as Chair of the Free Standards Group Accessibility
Workgroup, has offered to provide us with a runtime license for the product
so that I can develop the plugin.

The IBM TTS offers several new languages (voices) not currently available in
KTTS, including Chinese, Japanese, Brazilian Portugese, and French (Cepstral,
another commercial product does offer a French Canadian voice which can
currently be used with the Festival plugin in KTTS).  Therefore, it would be
a valuable addition to KTTS for users speaking those languages.  It also
offers English, German, Finnish, Italian, and Spanish voices.

May I add new strings to /branches/KDE/3.5/kdeaccessibility/kttsd?.  It is
unlikely the plugin will be completed (and translated) in time for the Jan
20th KDE 3.5.1 tagging, but it should be available in time for the March 17
KDE 3.5.2 tagging.  I hope to be able to commit the new code right after Jan
20th so as to provide the maximum amount of time for translators.

May I add an IBM TTS plugin to KTTS?

If the answer is no, I could still develop the plugin and make it available
online, but it would not be translated and users would likely have to compile
from source until KDE 4 is released.

Independent of the above question, is there anyone who speaks any of the
languages listed above willing to test the plugin I write?  You would need to
be able to compile from source.  I'm particularly interested in someone who
can test the non ISO-8859-1 languages (Chinese, Japanese).  If nobody
volunteers for those languages, we can still test with one of the other
languages.  If you volunteer, I will try to get Capital Accessibility to
provide you with a runtime license.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer

-------
[Kde-accessibility] IBM TTS SDK
 From: George Kraft <gk4 em austin.ibm.com>
 To: gnome-accessibility-list em gnome.org, accessibility em freedesktop.org,
kde-accessibility em kde.org

FYI, this past December I released an open source IBM TTS SDK for TTS
dependent
projects to compile with.  This SDK project only provides the ABIs for
compiling
and no runtime logic.

http://ibmtts-sdk.sourceforge.net/

The eci.h header file and libibmeci.so stub library will enable your
open source packages to be built to use the Linux IBM TTS Runtime.  The
Linux distributions could precompile various components with the SDK so
that the runtime will work when installed.

--
George Kraft IV
gk4 em austin.ibm.com