[Kde-i18n-fa] KDE 3.2 and new policy

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Thu Jan 15 16:46:35 CET 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 08:28, Arash Zeini wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> While reviewing KDE for the upcoming 3.2, I have noticed that our
> translations are in a bad shape.
> In order to correct as much as possible, I have decided not to accept
> any new files anymore (not that there are any) for the 3.2. cycle,
> and to work on the review only. I am making good progress, but it is
> a long road and a lot of work.
> KOffice is particularly in a bad shape and out of synch with the rest
> of the files.

Completely agree. I am currently unable to help you, but should be free
a couple of weeks before KDE 3.2 rleases, so I hope I can contribute to
this.

I agree that it's no time to add new files. We have to put them for
other time. It's time for us to polish our existing translations,
mainly kdelibs and kdebase.

And I think that we should remove KOffice farsi support from 3.2.0, as
far as I have seen (which is not a great deal) it's not in a shape to
be included in FarsiKDE.

However I propose to for KDE 3.2.x, we change our policy from 3.1.x. As
you all know, we didn't do any new translation for 3.1.x after the
release of 3.1.0, only some minor fixes done by Arash Zeini. I think
this was a bad decision, because it stalled the translation of the
group. Everybody (including me) thought that 3.2 is too far away, so
there is no need to translate right now. This made us do nothing for
months and months, and now that the release is near, we have suddely
found out that we are in a bad shape, and we can't have any new
translations.

This decision, to not work on 3.1.x branch was a mistake IMHO. If we had
continued to take care of 3.1.x, by polishing it and adding new files
to it, then we would have been more productive in the last couple of
month. Also transition to 3.2 would have been much easier for us,
because we had already polished our work.

My prpposal is for 3.2.x to change this policy. And start working
actively on the 3.2.x branch by adding new files to it and etc. We
should translate bew applications for each new KDE release. That's the
only way to reach the goal of 100% farsi desktop.

For now, don't concentrate on adding new files, just polish whatever we
have now, and make it look good for 3.2.0. After that we can add new
files to future 3.2 releases.

Arash?
--
/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */