[Kde-i18n-fa] farsi in RedHat 9

Rapheal Kaplan avantegarde at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 09:48:26 CEST 2003

> > 5) RPM : They invented this bloat, and they seem
> never like getting rid
> > of it. If you use a RedHat box for a long time,
> you will know what a
> > pain it will be to install new applications. Each
> application depends
> > on something else, with the dependency it self
> depends on something
> > else. And you have to search in all this RPM
> repositories scattered
> > over the net, just to find these dependencies. The
> solution, Debian
> > found the solution years ago with apt, Connectiva
> ported apt to their
> > RPM based distro and (partly) solved the problem.
> Gentoo solved the
> > problem from another route (From FreeBSD's
> method). While RedHat seems
> > to like screwing it's users.
>

> I feel a sense of passion about apt, and a sense of
> haterade of rpm; so I
> am not going to comment on this. I just would like
> to mention that both
> rpm and apt have been new tools (at their time) to
> achieve the same goal.
> apt is more advanced than rpm, but they still have a
> long way to go to get
> to the same level of maturity of estblished Unix
> tools.

  Ok, this one I've been itching to talk about.  I
agree with most of the post that started this... not
flame war... more like... smolder war.  I am not
thrilled with Red Hat, particularly because they have
in fact made KDE less usable and therefore made it
harder to get Farsi
running/printing/swimming/driving/etc.

  The one thing that Red Hat has going for it from my
point of view is their support for the RPM system and
what's more (probably worse) how they help to do
automatic upgrades of system components, where you
connect to them and they insure you have all the right
packages.

  I think under most circumstances, this is not ideal,
particularly in high security environments (which I
should probably be thinking more about come to think
of it), or environments when you need to maximize the
effectivness of the system.  Like server environments
and Enterprise environments.

  Here's the kicker.  I'm deploying GNU/Linux to folks
who have been convinced to use GNU/Linux instead of
Windows and are used to a Mac environment.  It's
pretty easy to maintain as a Desktop, and as long as
the network is secure, they should be secure.
Stability is not that important... it crashes less
than their Windows laptop (in fact they don't crash).
And they like the Red Hat Desktop.  Mac users!!

  Ok, those are terrible arguments.  What's worse, I
think I might abandon Red Hat because their naughty
KDE support is effecting Farsi support.