[Kde-i18n-fa] Translation request of pgAdmin3 into Farsi

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Tue Jul 1 03:01:35 CEST 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 23:57, Abbas Izad wrote:
> Hello Jean-Michel,
>
> Thanks for the tip and if there are no objections from other group
> members I take on this task.
> I have to mention that I have no experiences on postgreSQL and very
> little on MySQL but I know about the principals, how they work and
> terms used by databases. I guess it would be sufficient to start
> translating.

Good luck Abbas. If you think that you need mailing list, forums, or
other facilities, linuxiran.org! can help you.

jm.poure at freesurf.fr Wrote:

> >Dear Farsi translators and developpers,
> >
> >I registered the mailing list and take the opportunity to contact
> > you about pgAdmin3 (http://www.pgadmin.org/snapshots), PostgreSQL
> > GUI developped under
> >wxWindows for GNU/Linux, Win32 and Unix systems.
> >
> >We are looking for a translator willing to contribute a translation
> > into Farsi.
> >
> >PostgreSQL is the most advanced database system in the world, but
> >quite absent from the Farsi world. For example, I could hardly find
> > a single
> >PostgreSQL Farsi user on the mailing list. Maybe this can change
> > with your help... pgAdmin works perfectly well under KDE.

Bonjour Jean-Michel

Thanks for contacting Farsi KDE team for translating pgAdmin.  I know
that pgAdmin is a popular way to interact with PostgreSQL. As far as I
remember, it is also a hot download in sourceforge.

Unfortunately as you mentioned, there is currently very little interest
in PostgreSQL and open source databases in general, in Iran. Oracle is
what everyone is aware of. I personaly have faith in PostgreSQL, and
it's recent advances are enough proof to show that it really is
becoming a major player. I hope by translating the GUI to Farsi, we
might be able to generate more interest about in in Iran.

Regarding translation of it to farsi, there are a few questions which
need to be answered before we can start traslating it.

You mentioned that pgAdmin is written using the wxWindows toolkit. Do
you know wether wxWindows fully supports Unicode utf-8 ? What about
right to left (RTL) scripts? Has pgAdmin been translated to Arabic or
Hebrew (These languages are similar to Farsi) ?

Having support for these, is vital in order to be able to write Farsi. I
have heard great things about wxWindows, but have no idea about how
advanced it's i18n is.

CHeers

--
/* This sig has been ROT26 encrypted. Reading it is
unlawful under the terms of the DMCA.*/