[Kde-i18n-fa] Suse CDs request

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Wed Apr 30 11:05:11 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 07:42, Arash Zeini wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 April 2003 07:07, Ikomi Kara wrote:
> > Salaam,
> > I have set a linux class in my university where I am
> > studing Computer/Software there (Azad Jonob). I fear
> > that Redhat will kill all of students there and return
> > them back to that nooperating system of microsoft.
> > can anyone in tehran give have a suse 8.1 or 8.2 CD
> > that I can copy them.

Well, if you want KDE 3.1, then you should get 8.2 I have heard that it
is the best SuSE since 7.2 (their best ones seem to be the x.2). But
still, it's not something lovely. Ofcourse, for general desktop useage,
it beats RedHat9, but it is still RPM based, which talks for itself.
Make sure that these newbies don't face te RPM dependency hell, because
if they do, they will go back to using You-Know-Who products. But aside
from RPM, and the horrible Yast 2 (which never works), then SuSE 8.2 is
alright. (You can find 8.2 proffessional in Paytakht I guess)

The problem with SuSE Yast and Mandrake Drake and RedHat [insert
application name here] is that, they all want to make GNU/Linux a copy
of Microsoft. For example, in Mandrake 9, when I added a user using the
adduser command, the userdrake tool, didn't recognize this user. Which
means if you wnat to do anything, you shall work only with these guys
tools. You don't have your conventional lovely Unix tools.

I am personaly Using Debian, and am giving Gentoo a try, but I know that
these are not newbie friendly distros. For a newbie frienndly distro
(one that I can recommend to my friends), I have tried many distros,
from Xandros to Lycoris to [insert a distro name here].Now I am looking
forward to Libranet. It is actually, a Debian, with a nice installer.
It does have apt, and after installing it, one can change sources.list
and point them to the official debian repository and upgrade to
whatever version of debian they want. It just gives a way, to use
debian, with a nice installer, with hardware auto detection, and all
the bangs that Debian lacks. I am personally looking forward to it,
seriously.

Cheers
--
/* Mom, I'm not viewing porn late at night; really,
I'm just at slashdot, reading myself blind */