[Kde-i18n-eo] pri malfacila tradukada sistemo

Cindy McKee cfmckee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 13:45:14 UTC 2008

Interesa diskuto en la kde-i18n-doc-request-dissendolisto -- cxu
malfacila tradukada sistemo forpelas la mallaboremajn tradukantojn?:

Tuesday 05 February 2008 1:00:24 pm
> I agree: having a Pootle server would make translation at KDE (and
> anywhere else ;) ) much easier, and would attract a lot of
> participation from people who aren't willing, or don't have the time,
> to wrestle with file formats and translation procedures.
>
> Pootle is ideal, moreover, for distributed translation, making it
> possible for any number of people to contribute together, without
> conflicts or confusions. It supports syncing via SVN, and a number of
> other version control systems.
>
> It's also great for getting a few strings done, or checking the stats,
> in your lunchbreak. ;)
>
> You can use it from any computer, you can use it any time, and it is
> always up-to-date.

And what about quality? I've checked translations made in ubuntu's launchpad,
their quality is poor. The reason for that is simple: if the contributor
doesn't invest his time into setting up tools (particularly, KBabel),
then chances are his translation will be superficial.

You see, when I work on the translation, I usually translate documentation and
gui simultaneously (doc is first). Furthermore, I use and explore application
being translated.

Contributions from others go through (a review stage). And before commit, I
usually change most of the entries translated.

OK, Debian has web-interface for package descriptions translation with review
mechanism (2 or 3 people must confirm your translation as being good)
( http://ddtp.debian.net/ddtss/index.cgi/xx ). But, the entries in it ain't
connected semantically with each other. There is nothing to test as in GUI
translation. Again, i often get reports of 'BROKEN TRANSLATION' messages in
ubuntu's amarok. My answer is 'switch to official amarok translation'

Besides, with real computer-aided translation system like lokalize you get
much more productive: it works faster, it has a glossary with easy 'using'
(inserting) of the terms, translation memory and more is coming soon
(incl initial setup assistant).
Also, with KDE 4.1 getting ported to win32 and mac, there is no more 'cant run
linux at work' excuse
--------------

       Funny, this discussion comes up every now and then, nearly on a regular
basis ;-) And it always leads to the same conclusion: A Web-Interface for
KDE-Translations isn't a good solution.

I've made the same negative experience with ubuntus translations as Nick and
one of our team members spends a lot of his free time to fix bad ubuntu
translations, which got messed up by "contributors". I'm too lazy right now,
but everyone can search the mailing list archives himselve to read the old
discussions.

Just my 2 cent.

--
Cindy McKee