Cxu Vere ?? Re: [Kde-i18n-eo] Re: About esperanto version of "Umbrello UML Modeller"

heiko.evermann at gmx.de heiko.evermann at gmx.de
Sun May 29 16:13:24 UTC 2005

Hi Martin, hi Oliver,

I will just respond in English, as I do not have so much time today, and for
Esperanto, I would have to look up too many words.

1) The original documentation is written in English as an xml docbook.
2) Then a script breaks this down into little bits, I think based on
paragraphs. (I do not know that exactly, because I never tried.
3) These pieces are published as a po-template (POT-file)
4) This file can then be edited just like the po-files that we use for the
menus etc.
5) Once that is complete, the translated po-file can then be transformed back
into an XML-file.
6) From this XML-file the translated HTML-documents are generated.

The benefits from this process is twofold
1) translators can use KBabel that they already know. They need little to none
knowledge of XML
2) Changes in the original English XML-file will be recognized. Changed
paragraphs will be flagged "fuzzy" in the translated po-file (Esperanto in
our case). So the whole system keeps track of which parts need to be worked
on, once changes in the source language occur.

But so far I have never tried that system.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann