Git migration plan
Ben Cooksley
bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Aug 22 22:35:03 BST 2026
On Fri, Aug 21, 2026 at 4:53 AM Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
Hi Johnny,
>
> here is the global plan I would like to progress for the git migration
> of the translation files.
> The global idea is to migrate language by language with no freeze. We
> synchronize with the git files prior running scripty and we push back
> to git after. Once all the languages are migrated, we can migrate
> scripty to the git version.
>
So once migrated, the language goes read-only in SVN for all intents and
purposes?
>
> The plan with more details is:
> * do the prerequisites (create the umbrella repo, make makemessages
> part of scripty + integrate svn/git synchro to the process)
> * migrate one language with no active contribution (lg for example is
> a small one) and test the shadowing
* once we have checked it is fine, we can continue to migrate the
> other inactive languages and if we have an active candidate team to
> test the git workflow, we can migrate it in parallel
> * once all the inactive languages, we will need to coordinate with the
> language coordinators to find a good time to migrate their language
> (it should be blocked around half a day, depending on how fast we
> handle the process, this will be refined later once we have tested a
> few languages).
>
Given time zones are a factor, i'd allow a full day for this.
The technical part may only be half a day, but as it needs things done by
folks across multiple time zones allowing a full day is safer.
> * once all the languages are migrated, we can switch all the dependant
> scripts to git (scripty -
> https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/l10n-scripty/-/merge_requests/91,
> website - https://invent.kde.org/websites/l10n-kde-org/-/merge_requests/3)
> There were a lot of discussion in
> https://invent.kde.org/teams/localization/issues/-/work_items/1 for
> those interested with all the history and choices.
> There are also some remaining questions that can be tackled during the
> migration (usage of git-lfs, git-graft...).
>
> An important part (I'm directly quoting Karl from the discussion):
> "What I think is really important, is to have a good, clear
> documentation for the translators before the actual migration.
> Basically, we’ll need a ‘KDE L10N SVN user to Git user’ guide (for
> existing translators) and a ‘KDE L10N Git user’ guide (for new
> translators)."
> So we would also like, if we have a volunteer team to test the git
> workflow, that they help to write this guide to help the translators
> who are not familiar with Git.
>
> If you are coordinating a language, can you please reply in private so
> I know who to contact when I will want to handle your language (I
> don't think we have a list of coordinators somewhere)?
>
> I don't have a specific time frame to announce, I would like to start
> as soon as possible, it should be finished the end of year at worse
> and at best I would say doable in 1-2 months (depending on the time
> and coordination needed). I will try to communicate as much as
> possible on each step (especially when starting to handle active
> languages).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Johnny
>
Thanks,
Ben
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-i18n-doc/attachments/20260823/95009ae3/attachment.htm>
More information about the kde-i18n-doc
mailing list