Which Islamic calendar is commonly used?

Zayed Al-Saidi zayed.alsaidi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 05:53:55 GMT 2023

Thank you for your effort.

As of now, there is no agreed method to follow in a cross Islamic world to
determine the beginning of the Hijri months. The agree one is moon sighting
by naked eyes for each country.

 However, there many attempt to develop one. The easiest one are Tabular
methods (arithmetic rules). There are two system using way:
1- Tabular Islamic calendar
2- Microsoft's Kuwaiti algorithm
Please refer to this page for more details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabular_Islamic_calendar

The second type is astronomical calculations. In this category, the
algorithm sets crescent criteria such as SAAO, Yallop, Odeh etc.  Here is
the most used one:
1- Umm Al-Qura (used in KSA)
2- Universal Hejric Calendar, (used in Jordan and Algeria, see
https://www.astronomycenter.net/uhc.html)
But most islamic country developed their calendar base one crescent
criteria. For example, in Oman we have "Omani Calendar" which could differ
a little bit of form Umm Al-Qura calendar.

As of ICU's Islamic Calnder (Astronomical), I'm not sure which crescent
criteria they are following.

Regards,
Zayed