Which Islamic calendar is commonly used?

ali moeini aleomoeini at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:23:29 GMT 2023

As for Iran, the religious calender is based on the sighting of the moon by
eye.
So for important months, the religious leaders would go on roof of their
house or some place high and try to see the moon. If it is seen the new
month begins.
I'm no professional and do not know much about how exactly it works, and I
also know only the way Iran's version of Islam calculates it. But I have
heard that this is also used in political means
For example other Arabic countries announced the new month for ending the
fasting period but Iranian goverment announced it a day later and threatend
any Iranian Islamic leaders to not say otherwise.
So it is a difficult thing and I guess it has little to do with
calculation. Sorry beforehand if my knowledge is flawed.