Which Islamic calendar is commonly used?

Andika Triwidada andika at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:02:38 GMT 2023

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 8:38 PM Fusion Future <qydwhotmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I see there are different kinds of Islamic calendars in
> https://cldr.unicode.org/development/development-process/design-proposals/islamic-calendar-types
>
> But I couldn't understand the difference. Here I would like to know
> which Islamic calendar is commonly used nowadays so I can implement
> alternate calendar support for it in Plasma.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hi,

To quote from reference you wrote:

   So Islamic calendar variants are categorized as below:
   [A] Religious: Based on the sighting of the hilal. Actual dates
vary by location.
   Algorithmic
   [B1] Tabular: ICU "civil", Microsoft "HijriCalendar"
   [B2] Umm Al-Qura: Saudi Arabia and others, Microsoft "UmAlQuraCalendar"

What is really useful is [A]. Problem is, you can not precalculate it.
The Second best option is [B2].

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Andika