Fw: Translation for time zone conversion runner

Thomas Vergnaud thomas.vergnaud at mailo.eu
Sun Feb 12 09:24:44 GMT 2023

Hi Natalie,

You explained the KDE runner is only able to recognize simple text structures.
That is, it cannot really recognize text written in natural language; it can
only recognize keywords in a predefined order. Therefore, you are trying to
define a very simple «grammar» based on a limited set of keywords to be put in
a given order.

Basically, you are attempting to find the proper grammar to say «convert the
time <T> from timezone <A> to timezone <B>».
From the emails that have been exchanged so far, I understand there are
different – and specific – ways to write this in natural languages. Thus it
seems difficult to define one universal runner grammar that could conveniently
fit in all languages.

Here is my idea: would it be possible to use keywords like «@» or «->» in the
runner grammar? Using such technical keywords would prevent people from
thinking they can write in natural language.

For example, one may write «10:00 @Paris -> @Tokyo», or something like that.

Thomas

[…]