Translation for time zone conversion runner

Shinjo Park kde at peremen.name
Fri Feb 10 19:14:07 GMT 2023

Hello,

I looked into the MR but I couldn't find anything related to the timezone.
Could you please more elaborate on it?

You should not assume that every language has short 3-letter code for pointing
out timezones. We (in Korean) don't have abbreviation for timezone so we have
to write the timezone name in full. Timezone name in English abbreviation
would be accepted though.

timezone> format in Korean would be like this:

<10:00> <대한민국 표준시>를 <중부 유럽 표준시>로 (10:00 KST in CET)

> chosen in analogy to how the unit conversion runner works (e.g. "2 liters
> in milliliters"). Is there any language where this syntax for time zone
> conversion would not be natural at all?

expected. Also no spacing before <in>'s equivalent is expected. I can imagine
at least three variants for 10:30 KST in CET:

<한국 표준시> <10:30>을 <중부유럽 표준시>로: <from timezone> <time><-obj> <to timezone><-
adj>
<10:30> <한국 표준시>를 <중부유럽 표준시>로: <time> <from timezone><-obj> <to timezone><-
adj>
<to timezone><-adj>
* The <-obj> and <-adj> part can have spelling variants which I can specify
every form in the msgstr.

Moreover, there are also spelling and spacing variants for the timezone's
name. "대한민국 표준시" could be written in "한국 표준시", "중부유럽 표준시" could be written in
"중부 유럽 표준시" or even in "중앙 유럽 표준시". Users may enter either variant of full
name of the timezone, but I don't think handling all variants will be
feasible.

Best,
Shinjo

2023년 2월 10일 금요일 오전 12시 8분 57초 CET에 Natalie Clarius 님이 쓴 글: