Requesting information to continue translating Kaidan

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Mar 29 22:42:21 BST 2022

El dimarts, 29 de març de 2022, a les 15:56:03 (CEST), MNH48 Translation va escriure:
> Hello there

Hello :)

> I got notified from the announcement e-mail from Kaidan's Weblate:
> > Thank you all for the many translations over the years. Kaidan has now moved
> > to the KDE translation system.
> >
> > If you'd like to continue to support us, we'd be happy to welcome you as a KDE
> > translator: https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/translation
>
> I'm a translator for Kaidan in Weblate, where I'm translating to Malay
> (code: ms)
> and Malay (Jawi) (code: ms at Arab). The text on both are the same, just
> in different
> writing scripts (one in Rumi Malay / Latin, the other in Jawi Malay /
> Arabic). This is
> to cater to everyone who use Malay language regardless where they are from
> (Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, and
> other places)
> since people do use both writing scripts in real life including legal documents,
> schools, and public signage board (eg. road name, advertisement billboard)
> especially in the Northern and East Coast states of Malaysia, in Brunei, in the
> Southern provinces of Thailand such as Pattani and Satun, and in Riau Indonesia.

I just realized i lost the ms at Arab when importing it to our system because we don't seem to have any translation files for it.

Did you try it worked in the past? Which linux locale definition do you use for it?

> Since I've never used the KDE translation system and KDE as a whole, may I know:
> 1. What are the steps to create an account for translation?

This is a bit tricky here, we usually people to translate some of the big files before given them an account, but given that there is no one translating to Malay at the moment and that you used to translate kaidan before it would seem unfair to force you to translate other stuff before giving you an account so I'd say go to https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/Get_a_Developer_Account and follow to instructions of points 2 and 3.

> 2. Is there a web interface for the actual translation?

No

> 3. How do I get automated updates on untranslated strings?

There's no automated system for getting notifications on untranslated strings, you would basically get one every day.

If you only care about one file I guess you can just load https://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kf5/team/ms/kaidan and check the stats.

> The previous workflow in Weblate was that I got e-mail every time there's new
> untranslated strings, then I logged into Weblate using GitLab sign-in
> and navigated
> to the untranslated strings to translate them.
>
> When I got to the page linked above (Get Involved / translation), I
> couldn't find
> the actual button to sign up, instead it just had a bunch of text to
> contact others.
> While it did say to contact the specific team for my language, there's no e-mail
> listed when I went to the Malay team page:
> https://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=ms

As you discovered, there doesn't seem to be anyone else translating KDE software to Malay.

> Hence, I need proper guidance on how to rejoin the translation on the KDE
> translation system being moved from the previous Weblate translation instance.

For actually doing the translation you can use whatever software you want that works on .po files, we recommend using Lokalize

For hosting the translations we use a software called SVN, here is a long-ish explanation of what it is https://l10n.kde.org/docs/translation-howto/resources.html

But in a nutshell if you only care about kaidan it would be something like

Only one time
  svn checkout svn+ssh://svn@svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/l10n-kf5/ms/messages/kaidan

Then every time you want to get the file updated from the server, go to the folder created by the line above and run
  svn update

And then once you have added new translations
  svn commit

And if/when we add the @Arab version you would have to do the same with the @arab added to the svn checkout address.

Any other questions you may have we're here to help.