Suggestion to update Kalk's .desktop Comment

Scott xmrscott at protonmail.com
Sat Jan 22 06:47:10 GMT 2022

Talking in KDE Matrix I've learned the Source of Truth for .desktop Comments is based on the SVN repository. Due to the relative complexity of installing and setting up a SVN client, etc compared to just quickly forking and PR'ing within invent.kde.org, I'd like to make the change suggestion on the mailing list where someone here can easily make the SVN change. Currently Kalk's .desktop Comment reads as:

Comment=A Calculator in Kirigami.

It should in my opinion change the capitalization and remove the period:

Comment=A calculator in Kirigami

This is because 'calculator' as used here isn't the first word nor is it used as a proper noun. Furthermore, none of the derived localization capitalizes 'calculator' like a proper noun.

All of the applications that ship with Fedora KDE and others that I've installed don't have a terminating period. Even Steam despite having a lengthy Comment, "Application for managing and playing games on Steam", doesn't have a terminating period. In other words, the Kalk Comment doesn't follow Comment punctuation convention. It may be worth auditing other KDE apps' Comment on having a terminating period for consistency across the KDE apps.

Regards,
Scott