Can we move kf5_entry.desktop files into kconfigwidgets.git?

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Mon Aug 23 08:46:32 BST 2021

Alexander Potashev ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I would suggest that we move the files `kf5_entry.desktop` from
> `trunk/l10n-kf5/*/messages/kconfigwidgets/kf5_entry.desktop` into the
> kconfigwidgets source code repository, presumably into
> `kconfigwidgets.git/src/languages/*/kf5_entry.desktop`. A similar file
> for US English `kconfigwidgets.git/src/entry.desktop` can also be
> moved to `kconfigwidgets.git/src/languages/en_US
> /kf5_entry.desktop`, for consistency.
>
> kf5_entry.desktop files belong to source code because translators
> aren't supposed to directly edit these files, and we can simplify
> translations' automation scripts
> (https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/l10n-scripty). A side effect is that
> `kconfigwidgets._desktop_.pot` and `l10n._desktop_.pot` would converge
> to just one file `kconfigwidgets._desktop_.pot`, however I don't think
> it's a bad thing.

Merging files with a long history could be a bit problematic from the
licensing point of view and I think it would be better to avoid that.

> Is anyone currently working or planning to work on this move (or a
> similar solution)?
> Is there a tracking bug/Phabricator task?

The plan is to actually get rid of those files, adding new classes in KI18n
and relying on external translations:
https://www.volkerkrause.eu/2021/05/22/kf5-iso-codes-api.html

--
Luigi