Akademy meeting notes

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 13:48:01 BST 2020

Yaron Shahrabani

<DevOps - Hebrew translator>

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> Here are the notes from the Akademy meeting.
>
> If you have something to follow up/comment i guess start new threads? Or
> answer this changing the subject?
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

> * Web translation solution
>
> Unfortunately none of the strong proponents for it attended the meeting
>
> - The direct svn/git solution will stay to make sure our current users
> keep happy

Weblate supports them both.

> - We understand that using a web translation solution is potentially
> easier for newcomers

Depending on the workflow, it could ease the regular workflow also for very
experienced contributors (Localizing from your smartphone on the daily
commute).

> - Having two systems is a bit incovenient because it makes documentation
> harder

True that.

> - It will not be possible to "commit a translation" from the web system
> unless you have commit access in svn

I think that it will be easier to implement it using a centralized solution
like LDAP/SAML which are already implemented.

I'm sorry I couldn't attend and I know it's a little bit too late for that
but I want to support the web localization solution in order to revive the
Hebrew team and possibly many other teams.

Anything I can do to help bring this suggestion to life (I'm a DevOps
engineer and I know how to deploy and maintain Weblate)?

BTW, There's an option to configure Weblate so it won't interrupt current
workflow so that if your team prefers the direct SVN method you are free to
continue doing so, it just requires disabling access to this specific
language for editing (the changes will appear in Weblate but nobody will be
able to edit them or suggest), having the strings synced with Weblate can
possibly assist other translators that use Weblate and this language as a
reference.

> It's important that if we implement this, people that are using their own
> web based translation systems start using KDE's one

Yes, that's pretty common.

> There's several factors that influence the tool choice: quality of
> translations, easiness of contribution, efficiency while translating,
> quantity of translations.

Quality of translations can be configured by the team leader, I can give
translation rights to specific users or allow all of my team members to
suggest but I'm the only one who can approve.
Furthermore, there's an option to upload screenshots and tag the strings so
it should allow the translator to better understand the context.
Quantity - since there's no contradiction between the old and the new
platform it should increase quantity because everyone gets their prefered
workflow option.

> Different systems have different strenghts/weaknesses.

Which other systems?

I'd love to address more questions if there are any.

> We need to provide a clear path of what needs to be done in order for KDE
> to be able to provide a web based translation system

I'll be happy to assist.