D29875: trunk: German translation update for kmarkdownwebview

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Sep 6 13:00:13 BST 2020

kossebau added a comment.

  The technology used is what makes up the difference between markdownpart KPart & kmarkdowwebview KPart. The first uses plain QTextDocument with its native Markdown support (Qt>=  5.14), the latter uses QWeb* and some JS library to render the markdown as HTML inside the webpage container. Otherwise both variants are almost the same feature-wise

  And the web technology comes with some big footprint of pulling in the whole QWeb* library  (and risks being run in a webpage container using rather lagging code variants of chrome/webkit). Though potentially the markdown support might be still better.

  Sadly i have had no time to explore the full depth here, I wrote the code just as enabler, otherwise I would agree that implementation details should be hidden and we should just describe what the user actually experiences. So adding the note "webtech-based" was the minimum I could do with resources available, and have to leave it to readers to derive what this means in features and dependencies.

  Ideally the markdownpart would be the successor of kmarkdowwebview, given there is now native Qt support. That's why I kept the names and descriptions of both kparts pretty similar. But some people might still prefer the old one for their markdown flavor/variant needs not yet covered by QTextDocument. So both would be kept alive for some time, and thus there is the need for some differentiation

  Thanks for giving this some thoughts, it is my pain point here. But also no better idea still. So will just go with this for now. Luckily this is nothing set in stone for eternity :)

REPOSITORY
  R883 Subversion

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D29875