[Kde-hardware-devel] udisks2 status for floppy drives

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 20:36:02 UTC 2014

I am trying to fix bug 318061 i.e. the fact that floppy drives appear in the
notifier even if no disc is inserted. I've been able to reproduce with udisks2

The situation for udisks2 is indeed quite messy. According to the specs:

---
The "MediaChangeDetected" property

MediaChangeDetected  readable   b
Set to TRUE only if media changes are detected.

Media changes are detected on all modern disk drives through either polling or
an asynchronous notification mechanism. The only known disk drives that cannot
report media changes are PC floppy drives.

The "Size" property

Size  readable   t
The size of the drive (or the media currently in the drive).

This is always 0 if "MediaChangeDetected" is FALSE.

---

This sucks big time; the size of any floppy disc will always be reported as 0;
so we can't filter 0-sized devices on the client side.

I propose to “Ignore” volumes which are floppy drives and whose UUID is empty.
In this way empty drives should not be displayed by either dolphin or the
notifier.

We would then need to listen for changes in the uuid property to ensure that
the system reacts to insertion of actual floppy discs.

Finally, we should change the volume description for floppy discs, as
otherwise they would always appear as 0B removable disc.

If nobody has objections, I can work on implementing the above proposal,
otherwise we should discuss another strategy.

Best,

 __J