[Kde-hardware-devel] Blackberry playbook/Z10 and device notofier

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Thu May 2 09:12:21 UTC 2013

On Friday 26 April 2013 15:15:49 Sergey Vidyuk wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have blackberry playbook and want to simplify work with it in KDE. I want
> to see a device in the device notifier and dolphin left panel when I plug
> it via usb. The issue is the way device interacts with a PC.
>
>  * it's visible as usb network interface
>  * there is DHCP server onboard
>  * after IP is obtained device internal storrage is accessed throug the SMB
> protocol.
>
> I've configured running dhcpcd on device is connected using udev+systemd and
> I can configure automatic mount of the device via fuse, however I would
> like to have nice integration with KDE instead (device with custom icon in
> the device notifier applet which can be mounted and unmounted through this
> applet)
>
> I've read Solid project documentation but found only information how to add
> actions for devices but not devices themself. Can it be done via
> configuration (writing desktop entries) or should it be done in some kind
> of plugin for solid written in C++? Can somebody give me good start point
> to digg how to do what I want?

Probably some C++ will have to be involved, we have to:
-Detect these devices
-Know that these devices talk samba
-Know the IP we should talk to

Detecting and be possibly handled either by adding the device to MPI [1] or
udev rule (perhaps udev will be better). In MPI or Udev rule we should
indicate that they use samba, somehow.

Knowing the IP gets a little bit more tricky, I guess that NetworkManager
should get the ip automatically, the question is how to get it (we need the
gateway).

I have a playbook without BB10, pluging it only produces a CD (which we do not
seem to support).

Will investigate further in a week.

Cheerz.