[Kde-hardware-devel] Power manager changes

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Tue Mar 26 10:50:57 UTC 2013

On Thursday 21 March 2013 22:59:46 Vasily Fomin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Vasily.
>
> I'm newcomer in the KDE development.
>
> I have a laptop and he has functional keys to adjust screen brightness.
> They are working pretty fine, but I don't like used step changes and I want
> to have the way to configure the step or at least preset of them like 1,
> 10, 20 and so on.
>
> I've found the same question here
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=99325 and as far as I understood
> it' still not implemented.
>
> The question is: what do you think about this feature? should we have it?
Depending on the hardware/driver we have to work with a huge variety of
levels, for example with the default driver my laptop has from 1-7 while with
the "raw" driver it has from 1-2500.

Image we increase 10 on every step, it will take a a while to go from 1 to
2500 and it won't work with the 1-7 case.

So we do some math to make sure that we offer a consistent behavior across all
hardware:

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-workspace.git&a=blob&h=ff1dda97c1d65369f37bcb2453fa7482aa147ada&hb=404f97e60d545127be62b7c9c9b822855e0ec03d&f=powerdevil%2Fdaemon%2Fbackends%2Fupower%2Fpowerdevilupowerbackend.cpp

Accepting a patch that makes it possible to modify this can be considered,
specially taking into account that special hardware might need this.